Nieuw

Zomerpaleis van Peking verwoest

Zomerpaleis van Peking verwoest


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Britse troepen bezetten Peking, China, plunderen en verbranden vervolgens de Yuanmingyuan, de fantastische zomerresidentie gebouwd door de Manchu-keizers in de 18e eeuw. De Chinese Qing-leiding gaf zich kort daarna over aan het Frans-Britse expeditieleger, waarmee een einde kwam aan de Tweede Opiumoorlog en de Chinese hoop om het tij van buitenlandse overheersing in zijn nationale aangelegenheden te keren.

In de jaren 1870 begon de Chinese keizerin-weduwe Cixi met de wederopbouw van het paleis en zijn prachtige tuinen, en noemde het Yiheyuan, of 'Tuin van goede gezondheid en harmonie'. In 1900, tijdens de Bokseropstand, werd het paleis opnieuw verbrand door westerse troepen en het bleef vervallen tot de Chinese communisten het in de jaren vijftig herbouwden.


Toogle Nav Toogle Nav Chinese geschiedenissamenvatting

De hier opgenomen informatie kan worden gewijzigd. Chinese History Digest is niet verantwoordelijk of aansprakelijk als er wijzigingen zouden optreden. U kunt ook de officiële website van het Yuanmingyuan-park raadplegen voor de laatste informatie.

Openingstijden

7 uur - 19 uur
(mei - augustus)
7.00 - 18.00 uur
(april, september, oktober)
7.00 - 17.30 uur
(januari - maart, november, december)

Toegangsprijzen

Sites van Europese paleizen:
+ 15 Yuan
Tentoonstelling hal: + 10 Yuan

Het oude zomerpaleis was een complex van paleizen en drie onafhankelijke maar onderling verbonden tuinen die oorspronkelijk bekend stonden als de keizerlijke tuinen. In de tijd van de Qing-dynastie in het begin van de 18e eeuw, diende het terrein van het oude zomerpaleis als een privé-lusttuin voor de keizer en zijn familie. Later maakten Qing-keizers het oude zomerpaleis de belangrijkste keizerlijke residentie waar alle staatszaken werden afgehandeld. De Verboden Stad in het centrum van Peking werd toen alleen gebruikt voor formele ceremonies. Zowel het Oude Zomerpaleis als de Verboden Stad konden tijdens keizerlijke tijden niet worden betreden door gewone mensen.

Terwijl de meeste gebouwen die ooit in het oude zomerpaleis stonden, werden verwoest tijdens tumultueuze tijden in de geschiedenis (daarover later meer in dit artikel), bestaan ​​de tuinen nog steeds, hoewel hun uiterlijk door de eeuwen heen zeker is veranderd. De drie tuinen zijn de Tuin van de Eeuwige Lente (Changchunyuan), de Tuin van de Bloeiende Lente (Qichunyuan) en de Tuin van Perfecte Pracht (Yuanmingyuan). Samen beslaan ze een oppervlakte van zo'n 350 hectare. Yuanmingyuan is ook de naam waaronder het hele complex tegenwoordig bekend is bij de Chinezen, ook al is dat technisch gezien slechts een van de drie tuinen.

De geschiedenis van het oude zomerpaleis begon met de eerste aanleg van de tuinen in 1707. De geleidelijke uitbreiding ervan duurde 150 jaar. De Qianlong-keizer begon in 1747 met de bouw van paleizen in Europese stijl in een klein gebied achter in de Tuin van de Eeuwige Lente. Voor het grootste paleis, de Haiyantang, stond de beroemde Grand Waterworks. Twaalf bronzen dierenkoppen van de dierenriem spuugden op hun beurt water uit als onderdeel van een uitgebreide klokfontein. Er was ook een labyrint-doolhoftuin, net zoals het in die tijd in de Europese paleistuinen zoals Versailles in de mode was. Het is echter een misvatting dat alle paleizen die ooit op het terrein van het Oude Zomerpaleis stonden, westers van stijl waren. In feite was meer dan 95% van de gebouwen in Chinese stijl en er waren zelfs enkele gebouwen in Tibetaanse en Mongoolse stijl.

In hun hoogtijdagen werden de Chinese keizerlijke tuinen van het oude zomerpaleis geprezen als de "Tuin der tuinen" en Europeanen noemden het ook het "Versailles van het Oosten". Het oude zomerpaleis, dat het toppunt van architectonisch ontwerp en tuinbouwlandschap vertegenwoordigt, was een keizerlijk zomerresort dat ooit de pracht van het nabijgelegen zomerpaleis (Yiheyuan) op elk niveau ver overtrof. Honderden bouwwerken zoals vorstelijke zalen, paviljoens, tempels, galerijen en bruggen stonden ooit op het terrein en op verschillende schilderachtige plekjes in de tuinen werden beroemde landschappen van Zuid-China nagebootst met exotische planten uit het hele land. Voor dat doel werden op grote schaal kunstmatige meren, beekjes en vijvers aangelegd, zodat 40% van de tuin toen werd bedekt door rivieren en meren.

De zalen dienden als een soort keizerlijk museum, waar culturele artefacten, antiquiteiten en de beste Chinese kunstwerken ooit werden verzameld en tentoongesteld. Een van de zalen die helaas niet meer bestaat, de Wenyuan Hall (Hall of Literary Profundity), was een van de vier beroemdste keizerlijke bibliotheken en bewaarde een immense verzameling kostbare oude boeken, waaronder literaire werken en compilaties zoals de Complete Collection van vier schatten.

In oktober 1860 werd bijna alle pracht van het Oude Zomerpaleis als straf door de Anglo-Franse geallieerde strijdkrachten tot puin en as gereduceerd. De soldaten plunderden zoveel als ze konden dragen, waaronder de twaalf bronzen dierenkoppen van de Grand Waterworks-fontein (waarvan sommige de afgelopen jaren zijn teruggegeven aan China). Talloze waardevolle kunstwerken die toen werden gestolen, zijn nu te vinden in 47 musea over de hele wereld. Nadat het paleis was geplunderd, hadden duizenden soldaten 3 dagen nodig om het volledig te vernietigen en tot de grond af te branden. Volgens historische gegevens hebben slechts 16 van de ooit meer dan 100 tuintaferelen en enkele gebouwen in Chinese stijl de vernietiging overleefd. Om het nog erger te maken, werden de weinige gebouwen die de verwoesting van 1860 overleefden en de gebouwen die in de daaropvolgende jaren waren gerestaureerd of herbouwd, allemaal volledig verwoest in 1900 toen de Achtlandenalliantie Peking binnenviel.

De ruïnes van het oude zomerpaleis maken nu deel uit van het Yuanmingyuan-park dat zich in het noordelijke deel van het Haidian-district in Peking bevindt. Om ervoor te zorgen dat de historische ruïnes optimaal bewaard blijven, werd het gebied een belangrijke culturele site onder speciale bescherming van de districts- en gemeentelijke overheden. Het werd in juni 1988 voor het eerst bij wijze van proef voor het publiek geopend als historisch park. Een bezoek aan Yuanmingyuan Park is de moeite waard door de natuurlijke schoonheid van het tuinlandschap en de historische betekenis van de ruïnes. Er zijn de afgelopen jaren meer dan een dozijn replica's van historische gebouwen gebouwd en verschillende tempels zijn opgeknapt en herbouwd. Samen met de historische ruïnes en het herbeboste Chinese tuinlandschap kunnen bezoekers nu een goede indruk krijgen van wat ooit een van de meest formidabele paleizen ooit was gebouwd. Er is ook een tentoonstellingsruimte in het park waarvan de exposities u helpen de vroegere glorie van het oude zomerpaleis te visualiseren.

Als je op dit moment niet naar Beijing kunt, maar meer wilt weten, raadt Chinese History Digest je aan om deze website te bezoeken en deze uitstekende documentaire over Yuanmingyuan te bekijken.

uitzicht op de ruïnes van de Grand Waterworks (Dashuifa) op het terrein van het oude zomerpaleis

Hoe bereik je Yuanmingyuan Park in Peking?

Adres: Yuanmingyuan-park, 28 West Tsinghua Road
Haidian-district, Peking, China
Tel.Nr.: +86 10 6262 8501
Per vliegtuig: Luchthaven Peking Nanyuan (NAY)
Internationale luchthaven Peking Capital (PEK)
Internationale luchthaven Peking Daxing (PKX)
Met de trein: Treinstation Peking, Treinstation Peking Zuid
Treinstation Peking West
Metrostation: Station Yuanmingyuan - Metrolijn 4
Neem uitgang B en loop naar de zuidelijke poort van het park
Bushalte: Station Yuanmingyuan Nanmen - South Gate of the Park - (buslijnen: 331, 432, 438, 498, 508, 579, 594, 601, 664, Yuntong 124, Special Line 18 of 19, Sightseeing Bus Line 3)
Station Yuanmingyuan Dongmen - East Gate of the Park - (buslijnen: 365, 429, 432, 562, 614, 664, 681, 699, 717, 982, Yuntong 105 of 124 of 126, Special Line 4)
Station Saoziying - West Gate of the Park - (buslijnen: 333 Inner, 333 Outer, 393, 437, 438, 476, 498, 509, 534, 636, Special Line 6, Yuntong 106 of 108 of 114 of 118)

Dichtstbijzijnde hotels bij Yuanmingyuan-park in Peking:

De onderstaande hotels zijn gerangschikt op toenemende afstand van Yuanmingyuan Park in Peking. Klik op de naam van het hotel voor meer informatie of om te reserveren!


Toogle Nav Toogle Nav Chinese geschiedenissamenvatting

De hier opgenomen informatie kan worden gewijzigd. Chinese History Digest is niet verantwoordelijk of aansprakelijk als er wijzigingen zouden optreden. Kijk ook eens op de officiële website van het Zomerpaleis voor de laatste informatie.

Openingstijden

April - oktober:

6:30 - 18:00 uur*
* Openingstijden van het Zomerpaleispark, de schilderachtige plekjes binnen zijn geopend van 8.30 - 17.00 uur.

November - maart:

7.00 - 17.00 uur**
** Openingstijden van het Zomerpaleispark, de schilderachtige plekjes binnen zijn geopend van 9.00 - 16.00 uur.

Toegangsprijzen

April - oktober:

30 Yuan
(Comboticket: 60 yuan)

November - maart:

20 Yuan
(Comboticket: 50 yuan)

Dehe Tuin: + 5 Yuan
Toren van boeddhistische wierook en hal van verdrijvende wolken: + 10 Yuan
Wenchang-galerij: + 20 Yuan
Suzhou Market Street en Danning Hall: + 10 Yuan

Het Zomerpaleis (Yiheyuan) is een complex van paleizen, meren en tuinen in het Haidian-district van Peking. Het ligt ongeveer 15 km ten noordwesten van het stadscentrum, niet ver van de ruïnes van het oude zomerpaleis. Beide paleizen werden aangelegd als privé-pleziertuinen voor de keizers van de Qing-dynastie en hun familie. De bouw van het Zomerpaleis duurde van 1750 tot 1764 tijdens het bewind van de keizer Qianlong. Het stond toen echter bekend als de Qingyi-tuin (Garden of Clear Ripples).

Terwijl het Oude Zomerpaleis in 1860 volledig werd verwoest door de Engels-Franse troepen en de Achtlandenalliantie in 1900, werden de meeste delen die tijdens deze tumultueuze tijden in het Zomerpaleis waren beschadigd of vernietigd, later hersteld. Na voltooiing van de eerste reconstructie in 1888, werd het Zomerpaleis omgedoopt tot "Yiheyuan" en de meeste Chinezen noemen het tegenwoordig met die naam. Bezoekers kunnen de drie Chinese Hanzi-tekens 頤和園 zien die die naam spellen op het bord boven de oostelijke paleispoort. Ze zijn geschreven door de Guangxu-keizer zelf.

Een waar meesterwerk van Chinees tuinontwerp, het Zomerpaleis is een must-see attractie voor iedereen die geïnteresseerd is in de Chinese geschiedenis. Het staat sinds 1998 op de werelderfgoedlijst van UNESCO en is met ongeveer 2 miljoen bezoekers per jaar een van de meest populaire toeristische attracties in Peking. Ongeveer 3.000 historische bouwwerken staan ​​op het terrein van het Zomerpaleis dat een totale oppervlakte van 300,59 hectare beslaat. Het landschap van deze keizerlijke badplaats wordt gedomineerd door Longevity Hill (Wanshou Shan) en het Kunming-meer. Er zijn vier hoofdgebieden om te bezoeken: de Court Area, Kunming Lake Area en het voor- en achtergedeelte van Longevity Hill.

De Court Area bevindt zich tussen de East Palace Gate en de noordoostkust van het Kunming-meer. Dit deel van het Zomerpaleis had verschillende functies tegelijk. In sommige zalen werden staatszaken afgehandeld, terwijl andere dienst deden als woonruimte of amusementsruimtes. Bij binnenkomst door de East Palace Gate, zullen bezoekers eerst de Hal van Weldadigheid en Levensduur (Renshoudian) zien. Toen ze aanwezig waren, regelden de Qing-keizers de staatszaken van daaruit. In het noorden is de Tuin van Deugd en Harmonie (Dehe Garden). Het diende als een uitgaansgebied waar de keizerin-weduwe Cixi naar Peking-operavoorstellingen keek op het podium van het Grand Theatre. De Hall of Jade Ripples (Yulantang), Hall of Joyful Longevity (Leshoutang) en Yiyun House waren ooit de respectievelijke residenties van de Guangxu-keizer, de keizerin-weduwe Cixi en de keizerin Longyu (de vrouw van de Guangxu-keizer).

Het Kunming-meergebied is het grootste van de verschillende gebieden van het Zomerpaleis en de attracties eromheen zijn veel te talrijk om te tellen. Een van de bekendste daarvan is de Marmeren Boot waar keizerin-weduwe Cixi vroeger genoot van het prachtige landschap van het meer terwijl ze thee dronk. Het staat in de noordwestelijke hoek van het meer en is de enige structuur in westerse stijl in het Zomerpaleis. Voor Chinezen is het ook een symbool geworden van de corruptie tijdens de late Qing-dynastie. Dat komt omdat Cixi de wederopbouw in 1893 financierde (de eerdere versie met een houten paviljoen werd in 1860 door Anglo-Franse troepen afgebrand) met fondsen die bedoeld waren om de Qing-marinevloot te upgraden.

De drie kleine eilanden in het kunstmatige Kunming-meer zijn Nanhu Island (South Lake Island), Zaojiantang Island en Zhijingge Island. Nanhu Island is het grootste van hen, waar je verschillende zalen, paviljoens en tempels vindt. Het kan worden bereikt door de beroemde Seventeen-Arch Bridge (Shiqikong Qiao) over te steken, vanwaar je het beste uitzicht hebt op Longevity Hill in het noorden. Na een bezoek aan het eiland kun je richting Longevity Hill lopen langs de oostkant van Kunming Lake. Zeker de moeite waard om langs die weg te stoppen, is de Wenchang Gallery, die direct naast de Wenchang Tower ligt. De zalen tonen duizenden culturele artefacten uit zo'n 3.600 jaar Chinese geschiedenis sinds de Shang-dynastie. Onder het antiek dat wordt tentoongesteld, zijn bronzen voorwerpen, fijne sieraden, Chinees porselein, meubels, delicaat lakwerk, gesneden ivoor en vele andere onschatbare schatten.

Veel gebouwen aan de voorkant van Longevity Hill hadden een boeddhistische functie. Onder hen is de Toren van Boeddhistische Wierook (Foxiangge) ook het grootste gebouw op het terrein van het Zomerpaleis. Er is ook een eigenaardig paviljoen in dit gebied dat volledig van brons is gemaakt, het Baoyun-paviljoen (Baoyunge). Helaas wordt dit werkelijk unieke paviljoen, dat ook wel het "Gouden Paviljoen" wordt genoemd, door de meeste bezoekers over het hoofd gezien, misschien vanwege de plaatsing in een relatief afgelegen deel van het paleis. Een van de zalen in dit gebied, de feestelijk ingerichte Hall of Disspelling Clouds (Paiyundian) met zijn "Negen-drakentroon", werd elk jaar in de herfst gebruikt voor de verjaardagsvieringen van keizerin-weduwe Cixi. Cixi genoot ook elke dag na het ontbijt van een wandeling langs de Long Gallery (Changlang). Deze 728 meter lange galerij met 14.000 gekleurde schilderijen op de houten balken is de langste gang in Chinese klassieke tuinen. Het is nu een favoriete rustplaats voor vermoeide bezoekers omdat het voldoende ruimte biedt om te gaan zitten.

Het achterste gedeelte van Longevity Hill is het minst drukke deel van het Zomerpaleis, maar misschien wel het meest divers met betrekking tot de verscheidenheid aan bezienswaardigheden. De belangrijkste bouwwerken hier zijn een boeddhistische tempel in Tibetaanse stijl, een winkelstraat, een afgelegen studiegebied voor de keizer en een prachtige tuin. Vanaf het tempelcomplex dat de ongebruikelijke naam "Four Great Regions" draagt, is het niet ver naar de Suzhou Market Street (Suzhoujie). Dit gebied is gebouwd om qua stijl op het marktgebied langs de rivieroevers in de zuidelijke stad Suzhou te lijken. Het werd ooit gebruikt als uitgaansgebied waar de keizer net als gewone mensen kon "spelen" om met zijn concubines te gaan winkelen. De rollen van de winkeliers, straatventers en andere klanten werden toen vertolkt door paleiseunuchen en dienstmeisjes. Meer dan 60 winkels die van alles verkopen, bezetten nu de oude gebouwen in dit gedeelte van het Zomerpaleis. De Tuin van Harmonieuze Belangen (Xiequyuan) ligt aan de oostelijke kant van Longevity Hill. Het is aangelegd in de stijl van de klassieke tuinen van Zuid-China en is in alle vier de seizoenen aantrekkelijk voor bezoekers. Iets naar het westen langs de Houxi-rivier (de achterstroom van het Kunming-meer) ligt de Hall of Serenity (Danning Hall). Dit is misschien wel de meest afgelegen en rustige plek in het Zomerpaleis, dat prima dienst deed als studieruimte voor de keizer.

uitzicht op een klein gedeelte van het Zomerpaleis met de Wusheng (Five Sage) Shrine, Marble boat en Longevity Hill

Hoe kom je bij het Zomerpaleis in Peking?

Adres: Zomerpaleis (Yiheyuan), Xinjiangongmen Road 19
Haidian-district, Peking, China
Tel.Nr.: +86 10 6288 1144
Per vliegtuig: Luchthaven Peking Nanyuan (NAY)
Internationale luchthaven Peking Capital (PEK)
Internationale luchthaven Peking Daxing (PKX)
Met de trein: Treinstation Peking, Treinstation Peking Zuid
Treinstation Peking West
Metrostation: Station Beigongmen - Metrolijn 4
Neem afrit D en loop in westelijke richting naar de North Palace Gate
Station Yiheyuanximen - Westelijke voorstedelijke lijn
loop naar het noorden naar de West Palace Gate
Station Xiyuan - Metrolijn 4 of metrolijn 16
Neem afrit C2 en loop in westelijke richting naar de East Palace Gate
Bushalte: Station Yiheyuan - East Palace Gate - (buslijnen: 303, 331, 332, 346, 508, 579, 584)
Station Yiheyuan Ximen - West Palace Gate - (buslijnen: 469, 539)
Yiheyuan Beigongmen Station - North Palace Gate - (buslijnen: 303, 331, 346, 394, 563, 584, 594, Sightseeing-buslijn 3)
Xin Jian Gong Mannen - Nieuwe Paleispoort - (buslijnen: 74, 374, 437)

Dichtstbijzijnde hotels bij het Zomerpaleis in Peking:

Onderstaande hotels zijn gerangschikt op toenemende afstand van het Zomerpaleis (Yiheyuan) in Peking. Klik op de naam van het hotel voor meer informatie of om te reserveren!


De moderne stad

Na de revolutie van 1911 bleef Peking het politieke centrum van de Republiek China tot 1928, toen de nationalisten de hoofdstad naar Nanjing verplaatsten. Peking heette opnieuw Beiping. De stad kwam steeds meer onder druk te staan ​​van de Japanners, die in 1931 de marionettenstaat Manchukuo in Mantsjoerije stichtten. In juli 1937 braken gevechten uit tussen Chinese en Japanse troepen bij de Marco Polo-brug, ten zuidwesten van de stad werd Beiping vervolgens door de Japanners bezet. tot 1945. Na de Tweede Wereldoorlog viel de stad terug in de handen van de Nationalisten, die in de daaropvolgende burgeroorlog door de communisten werden verslagen. In 1949, met de oprichting van de Volksrepubliek China, werd Peking (met de oude naam hersteld) gekozen als hoofdstad van het nieuwe regime. De stad herwon al snel haar positie als het leidende politieke, financiële en culturele centrum van China.

In de jaren vijftig en zestig verbreedden stadsontwikkelingsprojecten de straten en vestigden de functionele wijken die de moderne stad kenmerken, maar politieke campagnes die culmineerden in de Culturele Revolutie (1966-76) vertraagden veel van deze projecten. Vanaf de economische hervormingen van het begin van de jaren tachtig versnelde het tempo van de veranderingen en veranderde Peking drastisch. Overal in de stad verschenen nieuwe winkelcentra en woongebouwen en vooral in de buitenwijken werden hightech industrieparken aangelegd. Eén zo'n gebied, genaamd "Silicon Valley", werd ontwikkeld met steun van de overheid tussen de universiteiten van Peking en Tsinghua. Een andere opvallende verandering, die vooral merkbaar is in de nieuwere winkelcentra, is de opkomst van een consumptiegerichte middenklasse, vergelijkbaar met die in Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul (Zuid-Korea) en andere Aziatische steden die een snelle economische groei doormaken. Tegelijkertijd heeft Peking, net als andere moderne steden, te maken met toenemende problemen met luchtvervuiling, verkeersopstoppingen en overbevolking.

Kort nadat in 2001 was aangekondigd dat Peking de Olympische Zomerspelen van 2008 zou organiseren, begon de stad aan een ambitieus programma om sportlocaties en huisvesting voor atleten te bouwen en de vervoersinfrastructuur van de stad te verbeteren, met name door het metrosysteem aanzienlijk uit te breiden. Deze taken werden op tijd voor de Spelen volbracht. Naast de constructie in verband met de Olympische Spelen, kwamen er door heel Peking een groot aantal andere kantoor- en residentiële hoogbouw als paddestoelen uit de grond, waardoor het uiterlijk van de stad enorm veranderde.


Zomerpaleis, een keizerlijke tuin in Peking

Het Zomerpaleis in Peking &ndash werd voor het eerst gebouwd in 1750, grotendeels verwoest in de oorlog van 1860 en gerestaureerd op zijn oorspronkelijke fundamenten in 1886 &ndash is een meesterwerk van Chinees landschapstuinontwerp. Het natuurlijke landschap van heuvels en open water wordt gecombineerd met kunstmatige elementen zoals paviljoens, zalen, paleizen, tempels en bruggen om een ​​harmonieus geheel van uitzonderlijke esthetische waarde te vormen.

Beschrijving is beschikbaar onder licentie CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

Palais d'Été, Keizerlijke Jardin de Peking

Le palais d'Eacuteté de Beijing, créé in 1750, détruit en grande partie au cours de la guerre de 1860, puis restauré sur ses fondations d'origine in 1886, est un chef-d'l'art de oelig de 1860 . Il intègre le paysage naturel des collines et des plannen d'eau à des éléments de fabrication humaine tels que pavillons, salles, palais, tempels en ponts, pour en faire un ensemble harmonieux et exceptionnel du point de vue esthétique.

Beschrijving is beschikbaar onder licentie CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

الصيف، حديقة بيجينغ الإمبراطوريّة

يُشكّل قصر الصيف في بيجينغ الذي تأسس عام 1750 ودُمّر الجزء الأكبر منه في خلال حرب العام 1860 وأُعيد ترميم ركائزه الأصليّة عام 1889 تحفةً فنيّةً لفنّ حدائق الصين الطبيعيّة. يزاوج بين مناظر الهضاب ومواقع الماء وبين المباني التي صنعها البشر مثل السرادق والقاعات والقصور والمعابد والجسور فخرج بمجموعة متناسقة واستثنائيّة من الناحية الجماليّة.

bron: UNESCO/ERI
Beschrijving is beschikbaar onder licentie CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

-颐和园

bron: UNESCO/ERI
Beschrijving is beschikbaar onder licentie CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

Етний орец en императорский арк в екине

етний орец екине, ервые построенный 1750 ., сильно азрушенный о время ойны 1860 . и восстановленный в 1886 г., &ndash это шедевр садово-паркового искусства итая. Естественный ландшафт холмов и открытых водоемов сочетается с искусственными объектами, такими как павильоны, залы, дворцы, храмы и мосты, что создает гармоничный ансамбль высочайшей эстетической ценности.

bron: UNESCO/ERI
Beschrijving is beschikbaar onder licentie CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

Palacio de verano y jardin imperial de Beijing

Construido in 1750, destruido en su mayor parte durante la guerra de 1860 y reconstruido sobre sus cimientos in 1886, el palacio de verano de Beijing en een obra maestra del arte paisají­stico chino. Los elementaire creaties door el hombre & ndashpabellones, palacios, aposentos, templos y puentes & ndash se han adaptado perfectamente al paisaje natural de colinas y estanques. Esa adaptación ha dado por resultado la creación de un conjunto monumentale armonioso y extraordinario en el plano estético.

bron: UNESCO/ERI
Beschrijving is beschikbaar onder licentie CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

頤和園, 北京 の 皇帝 の 庭園
Zomerpaleis, een keizerlijke tuin in Beijing

Het zomerseizoen is een meesterwerk op het gebied van Chinese ontwerpsarchitectuur en tuin. Het zomerpaleis omvat een gebied van bijna 3 vierkante kilometer, waarvan het bevatten uit water. Het natuurlijk landschap van heuvels en open water is gevuld met allerlei uitbundig versierde en goed bewaarde paviljoenen, hallen, paleizen, tempels en bruggen. De keizerlijke tuin bestond uit drie gedeelten, elk met een aparte functie: politieke en administratieve activiteiten, woonverblijven en recreatie en toerisme. In 1924 werd het zomerpaleis een openbaar park.

  • Engels
  • Frans
  • Arabisch
  • Chinese
  • Russisch
  • Spaans
  • Japans
  • Nederlands
Zomerpaleis, een keizerlijke tuin in Peking (China) © OUR PLACE The World Heritage Collection

Uitstekende universele waarde

Korte synthese

Het Zomerpaleis in Peking integreert tal van traditionele zalen en paviljoens in de keizerlijke tuin die tussen 1750 en 1764 door de Qing-keizer Qianlong werd ontworpen als de tuin van heldere rimpelingen. Gebruikmakend van Kunming Lake, het voormalige reservoir van de hoofdstad van de Yuan-dynastie en Longevity Hill als basiskader, combineerde het Zomerpaleis politieke en administratieve, residentiële, spirituele en recreatieve functies in een landschap van meren en bergen, in overeenstemming met de Chinese filosofie van het balanceren van de werken van de mens met de natuur. Vernietigd tijdens de Tweede Opiumoorlog van de jaren 1850, werd het gereconstrueerd door keizer Guangxu voor gebruik door keizerin-weduwe Cixi en omgedoopt tot het Zomerpaleis. Hoewel het opnieuw beschadigd raakte tijdens de Bokseropstand in 1900, werd het gerestaureerd en is het sinds 1924 een openbaar park. Het centrale kenmerk van het administratieve gebied, de Hal van Weldadigheid en Levensduur, wordt benaderd via de monumentale Oostelijke Paleispoort. De aansluitende woonwijk bestaat uit drie gebouwencomplexen: de Halls of Happiness in Longevity, Jade Ripples en Yiyun, allemaal gebouwd tegen de Hill of Longevity, met mooi uitzicht over het meer. Deze zijn verbonden door overdekte gangen die aansluiten op de Great Stage in het oosten en de Long Corridor in het westen. Voor de Hall of Happiness in Longevity gaf een houten kade toegang over water voor de keizerlijke familie tot hun vertrekken.

De resterende 90% van de tuin biedt ruimtes om te genieten van uitzicht en spirituele contemplatie en is verfraaid met tuingebouwen, waaronder de Toren van de Geur van Boeddha, de Toren van het Draaiende Archief, Wu Fang Paviljoen, het Baoyun Bronzen Paviljoen en de Hal die Verdrijft de wolken. Kunming Lake bevat drie grote eilanden, die overeenkomen met het traditionele Chinese symbolische bergtuinelement, waarvan het zuidelijke is verbonden met de oostelijke dijk door de Seventeen Arch Bridge. Een essentieel kenmerk is de Westdijk met zes bruggen in verschillende stijlen over de lengte. Andere belangrijke kenmerken zijn tempels en kloosters in Han- en Tibetaanse stijl, gelegen aan de noordkant van de Hill of Longevity en de Garden of Harmonious Pleasure in het noordoosten.

Als het hoogtepunt van honderden jaren keizerlijk tuinontwerp, heeft het Zomerpaleis een grote invloed gehad op de daaropvolgende oosterse tuinkunst en -cultuur.

Criterium (i): Het Zomerpaleis in Peking is een uitstekende uitdrukking van de creatieve kunst van het Chinese landschapstuinontwerp, waarbij de werken van de mens en de natuur in een harmonieus geheel zijn opgenomen.

Criterium (ii): Het Zomerpaleis belichaamt de filosofie en praktijk van het Chinese tuinontwerp, dat een sleutelrol speelde in de ontwikkeling van deze culturele vorm in het hele oosten.

Criterium (iii): De keizerlijke Chinese tuin, geïllustreerd door het Zomerpaleis, is een krachtig symbool van een van de belangrijkste wereldbeschavingen.

Vanwege het hoogste beschermingsniveau dat het Zomerpaleis altijd van de overheid heeft gekregen, zijn het oorspronkelijke ontwerp, de planning en het landschap perfect bewaard gebleven. Bovendien heeft het Zomerpaleis een harmonieuze relatie met zijn omgeving behouden. Op dit moment heeft de regering actieve en krachtige maatregelen genomen om de bescherming van de omgeving van het Zomerpaleis te versterken om de druk als gevolg van stedelijke ontwikkeling het hoofd te bieden.

authenticiteit

De conserverende interventie en landschapsonderhoud binnen het vastgoedgebied zijn uitgevoerd in overeenstemming met historische archieven, met behulp van traditionele technieken en geschikte materialen voor het onderhouden en doorgeven van de historische informatie. Door de instandhouding en het onderhoud van het pand is de authenticiteit ervan volledig gewaarborgd.

Beveiligings- en beheervereisten

Het Zomerpaleis wordt op het hoogste niveau beschermd door de 1982 Wet van de VRC inzake de bescherming van culturele relikwieën (gewijzigd 2007), die is uitgewerkt in de Regelgeving inzake de toepassing van de wet van de Volksrepubliek China inzake de bescherming van culturele relikwieën. Bepaalde bepalingen van de Wet op milieubescherming en stadsplanning zijn ook van toepassing op de instandhouding van het Zomerpaleis. Deze wetten hebben rechtskracht op nationaal niveau. Het Zomerpaleis werd op 4 maart 1961 door de Staatsraad van de Volksrepubliek China opgenomen in de eerste groep van beschermde gebieden met nationale prioriteit.

Op gemeentelijk niveau werd het Zomerpaleis op 20 oktober 1957 door de gemeentelijke overheid van Peking uitgeroepen tot beschermd gebied van de gemeente. Regelgeving van de gemeente Peking voor de bescherming van culturele relikwieën (1987) versterkt de gemeentelijke bescherming van belangrijke erfgoedsites. In 1987 werden de beschermingsgrenzen van het Zomerpaleis specifiek genoemd en geïnstrueerd om te worden uitgevoerd in de kennisgeving van de gemeentelijke overheid van Peking aan het gemeentelijk bureau voor bouwplanning en het bureau voor culturele relikwieën over het goedkeuren van de Rapport betreffende de afbakening van beschermingszones en bouwcontrolegebieden van de tweede groep van 120 culturele relikwieën onder bescherming. Het masterplan van Summer Palace over bescherming en beheer is in voorbereiding en zal worden voorgelegd aan het Werelderfgoedcomité zodra het voltooid is. Ondertussen staat ook de bouw in de omliggende gebieden onder restrictief toezicht.

Het Beijing Summer Palace Management Office is sinds de oprichting in 1949 verantwoordelijk voor het erfgoedbeheer van het Zomerpaleis. Inmiddels zijn er meer dan 1500 medewerkers, waarvan 70% professionals. Daaronder zijn er 30 secties die verantwoordelijk zijn voor het behoud van cultureel erfgoed, tuinieren, veiligheid, constructie en bescherming. Er zijn voorschriften en noodplannen opgesteld. Momenteel functioneert de bescherming van het Zomerpaleis goed. Onder het algemene beschermingskader dat is opgesteld door de centrale en lokale overheden, zal de bescherming en het beheer van het Zomerpaleis worden uitgevoerd in overeenstemming met strikte en periodieke instandhoudingsplannen en -programma's. Het wetenschappelijke beheer en de bescherming wordt uitgevoerd op basis van de informatie die wordt verkregen uit steeds geavanceerdere monitoring.


Zomerpaleis


Plaats:
Haidian District, in de noordwestelijke buitenwijk van Beijing (15 km van het stadscentrum), gemeente Beijing
Openingstijd: 07:00-17:00 (1 nov. - 31 maart, laagseizoen van het toerisme)
06:30-18:00 (1 apr. - 31 okt, hoogseizoen van het toerisme)
Cruise-informatie:
- Dokken: Bafang Pavilion (八方亭), Wenchang Pavilion (文昌阁), Jade Ripples Hall (玉澜堂), Hall of Disspelling Clouds (排云殿), Shizhang Pavilion (石丈亭), het standbeeld van Bronze Ox (铜牛) , de Marmeren Boot (石舫), South Lake Island (南湖岛)
- Boten beschikbaar: roeiboot, batterijboot, waterfiets, drakenboot, zowel grote pleziervaartuigen als gecharterde boten.
- Tijd voor bootcharter: 08:00-17:00 (overdag) 18:00-22:00 (nacht)
Hoe bereik je het Zomerpaleis:
- Metro: neem lijn 4 en stap uit bij Bei Gong Men (北宫门 North Palace Gate) of stap uit bij Xiyuan Station (西苑站, Exit C2) en loop 500 meter westwaarts tot je de Gong Gong Men ziet (东宫门 East Palace Gate, de hoofdingang van het Zomerpaleis).
- Bus: 74, 209, 303, 319, 320, 330, 331.332, 333 (zowel binnen- als buitenringroutes), 346, 374, 375, 384, 394, 432, 437, 438, 469, 498, 539, 628, 664, 683, 690, 696, 704, 716, 718, 726, 732, 737, 801, 808, 817, 826, 904, 905, 907 and 952.
Best time for visit: September. Snow landscapes in winter are also some of the most gorgeous.
Recommended time for a visit: from 1.5 hours to half a day, not less!


The Emperors' Summer Imperial retreat place and largest garden in China

The Summer Palace, also called "Yi He Yuan" (颐和园) literally meaning "the Garden of Restful Peace" in Chinese, is one of the most visited scenic spots together with the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven or Great Wall in Beijing city. Immense garden at a few kilometers away from the city, the Summer Palace holds its name to perfection as this was where emperors and the imperial family used to retreat at summer time, away from the heat that was burning the Forbidden City. This ancient royal garden is beautifully composed of palaces, temples, gardens, pavilions, lakes and corridors fully radiating the natural beauty and the grandeur of imperial gardens. As the largest garden in China, the Summer Palace is today the center of interests of all tourists coming to visit Beijing and its many cultural and historical relics. Looking like a part of Heaven after visiting the turmoil of Beijing city center, the Summer Palace is the place where to have a rest to discover the amazing architecture of the park invented hundred of years ago during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

History around the Summer Palace

The Summer Palace started to be constructed in 1750 under the orders of Emperor Qianlong (1735-1796). Originally called "The Garden of Clear Ripples" (清漪园Qing Yi Yuan) the garden was considerably enlarged and embellished after the gigantesque work of the 100 000 laborers who worked on this imperial retreat for years. Like during many other historical events, the garden burned down with the invasion of Anglo-French troops in 1860 during the Second Opium War (1856-1860). That was just after the reconstruction of the garden under Empress Dowager Cixi's reign in 1888 that the garden was renamed the "Summer Palace". Being a place inspiring peace and harmony, the Summer Palace progressively started to be the permanent residence of the Imperial family that constructed pavilions and other small parts of the actual park that we can visit today. Burnt down a second time in 1900 after the Boxer Rebellion (1898-1901) and reconstructed another time, the Summer Palace was opened to public in 1924. This was only in 1998 that the great beauty of the garden was revealed after the recognition of the site as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage as well as a National 5A Tourist Spot of China.

Features of the Summer Palace

The Summer Palace is China's largest and most grandiose garden ever constructed. Covering an area of 2,9 km 2 , three quarters of which are covered of water, the palace is composed of over 3000 ancient structures including pavilions, towers, bridges and corridors. The Summer Palace is composed of 3 main areas:

- The Palace Area (for administration): is where ancient emperors used to take care of state affairs. There stands the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity (仁寿殿), where Empress Dowager Cixi held court behind a screen in most of the time of her late years.

- The Residence Area (for living): Jade Ripples Hall (玉澜堂), Hall of Joyful Longevity Hall (乐寿堂) and Yiyun Hall (宜芸馆)constitute the main bodies of this area where emperors and the royal family used to live during summer.

- The Tour Area (for relaxation): landscapes, buildings, flowers and plants appreciated by the royal family for its peaceful atmosphere.

All the Summer Palace spreads across the low hills and lakes among which the Longevity Hill (万寿山), and Kunming Lake (昆明湖) are the most important parts. Travelers visiting the site today have the opportunity to wander in the wonderful buildings and courtyards beside the lake and along the waterways. Arched bridges, promenades, decorated corridors and breezeways, an ever-changing scenery is waiting for visitors!

What to see in The Summer Palace today?

When visiting the Summer Palace, visitors should plan between one hour and a half to half a day for the site is really huge. Indeed, there are so many things to see in the palace that you will feel time spending quickly, realizing how life spent smoothly for emperors during their summer retreat. Involving plenty of walking, the Summer Palace is the place where experiencing different activities on top of little promenades.

Riding a little boat for seeing the lake areas, watching a traditional Chinese dance performance at the Palace's Theatre or doing some shopping in the many traditional shops by the river&hellipthe Summer Palace is without any contests the lovelier scenic spot in Beijing city. Though not fully opened to the public, some interesting buildings can be visited flourishing with many ancient designs and decorations. Clearly, the park is divided into 4 several sections that are the Court Area, the Front-Hill Area, the Longevity Hill Area and the Kunming Lake Area. In the park, an integrated transport hub is at the disposal of visitors who may first stop at the Kunming Lake and Longevity Hill.

The Court Area is located in the northeast of the park, spreading from the East Palace Gate to the northeast coast of Kunming Lake. It is remembered as the place where the famous (though terrific) Empress Dowager Cixi (ruling from 1861-1908) and Emperor Guangxu (1875-1908) used to reside, conducting state affairs though away from central Beijing and the Forbidden City. This area of the park is where seeing numbers of Halls and courtyards displaying the exact same architecture than other imperial places: a palace in the front and the garden behind it.

The East Palace Gate

Called "Dong Gong Men" (东宫门) in Chinese, the East Palace Gate is the major entrance to the Summer Palace with two side doors: the main door in the middle exclusively reserved to emperors, empresses and queen mothers and the side one for officials. The road leading to the entrance for emperors is chiseled with two relief dragons playing with a ball: a symbol of Chinese imperial dignity.

Upon entering the Gate, visitors will be impressed by the three big and vigorous characters meaning the Summer Palace in Chinese: 颐和园 (Yi He Yuan). It is said to be the handwriting of Emperor Guangxu who ruled the country from 1875 to 1908 under the supervision of Empress Dowager Cixi. The origin of these 3 characters is the center of a story passed for years from generation to generation. Indeed, during the restoration of the Summer Palace, craftsmen asked for Emperor Guangxu's own writing on the plaque to be disposed at the entrance of the Summer Palace. Pleased to accept their request, Emperor Guangxu wrote the three words of "颐和园". Angry at its nephew's calligraphy, Empress Dowager Cixi ordered to take off the characters, forcing then Guangxu to realize his bad writing and start to take lessons of calligraphy. After earnest efforts, the emperor finally succeeded in writing the characters in a proper way, using just one stroke. Satisfactory work, his writing is now to be admired at the East Palace Gate.

True or not, the characters at the entrance give to the Summer Palace a spiritual and forceful meaning showing the great sceneries and historical relics that are to be discovered in the park. By entering the East Palace Gate, visitors are walking into the state affairs and administrative area of emperors.

The Hall of Benevolence and Longevity

The Hall of Benevolence and Longevity (仁寿殿, Ren Shou Dian) is the first architectural complex to be seen by visitors when entering the site. Built in 1750 but burned down in 1860 by the Anglo-French forces, it was reconstructed in 1888 under the rule of Empress Dowager Cixi and Emperor Guangxu. This hall was originally called "Qinzheng Hall" to inspire rulers to manage state affairs diligently. However, during Emperor Guangxu's time (1875-1908), the hall's name was changed to the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity due to the famous Confucian saying: "The ruler who reigns benevolently will have a long life".

In front of the hall stand bronze phoenixes and dragons of a great beauty. In the courtyard, 4 unusual stones dark in color and with holes, represent the four seasons of the year such as in many other Imperial buildings where symbolism was used a lot to express Emperor's rule coming from the Heaven's decision. In the hall, several items can be admired such as a throne, a wall screen, some decorative fans made of peacock feather, incense burners, crane-shaped lights, etc&hellip Exceptional among this list, the wall screen is a curiosity for it has 9 dragons and 226 times the Chinese character "Longevity" (寿), written in different styles. Located at the north of the Hall is the Well of Prolonging Life (延年井Yan Nian Jing) that is said to have saved Empress Dowager Cixi's life after she caught a sunstroke.

The Garden/Hall of Virtue and Harmony

The Garden of Virtue and Harmony (德和园 De He yuan) is where the Emperors and the Empress Dowager Cixi were used to be entertained. Performances of the Peking opera and many other theatrical shows were used to be held there for the pleasure and entertainment of the Imperial family. This garden consists of the Grand Theater Building, the Hall of Nurtured Joy, and the Dressing House.

The theatre building, 21 meters high (69 feet) and 17 meters wide (56 feet), consists of three stories stages with colorful and multiple eaves elegantly raised on every corners. From top to bottom, there are: The Fu Stage (Happiness Stage), The Lu Stage (Affluence Stage), and The Shou Stage (Longevity Stage).

Some inventive raise catwalks in the ceilings and a winch on the top of the floor are present, an ingenuous design that could create an impression of movement to the performers. Each stage was made of trapdoors. A well and pond is located beneath the Shou Stage (Longevity Stage) for it could suddenly come out creating a water scene as well as amplify a sound effect thanks to acoustic resonance. The lighting and sound systems heighten the whole effect.

Today, the garden is converted into an exhibition hall to display the daily utensils used by the Imperial family, including bronze wares, porcelains, jade articles and other precious objects.

The Hall of Joyful Longevity

This Hall was one of the first constructed under the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799) in order to make it a residence for his mother. Located at the northeast of the Summer Palace near to the Kunming Lake, the building unfortunately burnt down after the Anglo-French occupation in the 1860s, and was restored under Empress Dowager Cixi. The Empress took a real pleasure in spending her time in this Hall with her 48 attendants and a retinue of over a thousand people accompanying her inside the Summer Palace. Called Le Shou Tang (乐寿堂) in Chinese, the name has not been given without hazard as this is a tribute to the Analects of Confucius. Indeed, saying that "persons with wisdom are joyous, with benevolence longevous", the Emperor followed the rule looking for the longest reign on Earth for he was said to be the Son of the Heaven.

The Hall is where seeing a well-decorated throne, fans, copper incense burners, desk and rosewood inlaid shell carving glass screen. Porcelain tracing back from the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) is also to be seen, a cultural relic that ranks as one of the most precious in China. On the ceiling of the Hall is a colorful pendant lamp that has been imported from Germany in 1903. At the east of the hall stands the inner chamber in and bedroom of Empress Cixi at the west, the dressing room and at the behind it all the place where maid servants waited for order. When passing through the front gate, visitors will find themselves directing to the Kunming Lake, where boats were and still are docked. Finally, the Hall of Joyful Longevity is also composed of a small courtyard garden in which Emperors used to relax as well as impress visitors. Filled with flowers of any kinds representing peace, prosperity and having also the power to cure diseases, the garden was a great pride of the Court Area.

The Hall of Jade Ripples

The Hall of Jade Ripples, also called "Sanhe yuan" for it was a hint at the Jin Dynasty verse (265-316): "Jade spring with rippling water" is one of the most impressive place that had an important role in History. Built in 1726, under the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799), the building burnt down like many others during periods of evil, but was restored later on. Known as a place notable for its seclusion and harmonious arrangement, the Hall of Jade Ripples started to have another function after 1898, when The Hundred Days Reform led by Emperor Guangxu failed. Indeed, the reform aiming at reforming the outdated feudal system by creating a new edict had received a sharp disagreement from Empress Dowager Cixi that arrested Emperor Guangxu and placed him in the Hall of Jade Ripples, secluded from the outside world. Symbolic act of this disagreement was the separation of the two rocks located in front of the Hall that used to represent Cixi and Guangxu.

During his long life confinement, Guangxu used to live between his day room and his bedchamber. The chamber, located at the east of the Hall is a cozy one. Facing it, the day room is still today where seeing the Emperor's desk made of rosewood and decorated with exquisite carvings.

The Yiyun House/Hall

Last Empress of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), Empress Longyu, wife of Emperor Guangxu used to live in the Yiyuan Hall. Not beloved by her husband who preferred to spend more times with his concubines, the Empress passed her lonely days in that house located to the north of the Hall of Jade Ripples. Built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong and repaired in the reign of Emperor Guangxu, this literally "convenient to collect and read books" hall is embodying to perfection the elegance and knowledge of Empress Longyun.

Constructed in traditional Chinese "Siheyuan (四合院)" style, the Yiyun Hall is composed of 5 front rooms, 3 back rooms, 5 eastern affiliated rooms (Dao Cun Zhai) and 5 western affiliated rooms (Jin Xi Xuan), the affiliated being home to the Emperors' concubines in summer time. All the rooms are filled with splendid curiosities such as furnitures, precious stones and flower patterns cupboard.

Though located near to the lodging of Emperor Guangxu, the Yiyun Hall was not that accessible by the Emperor after the Reform Movement. Another confinement preventing him to enjoy his time seeing his different lovers.

2. Longevity Hill Area

The Longevity Hall is definitely the most magnificent area in the Summer Palace. Area where stand most of the buildings tracing back from the Qing Dynasty, its architecture is a curiosity for it follows an east-west symmetry where many buildings and gardens are to appreciate:

The Longevity Hill

Originally called the Wengshan Hill, the marvelous Longevity Hill was renamed by Emperor Qianlong in 1752, during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), at the time he ordered the construction of the garden. Of a 60 meters high (196.9 feet), the Hill is surrounded by many houses and buildings where relaxing among a gorgeous natural beauty.

At the foot of the front Hill, stands an ancient-style archway making the main entrance for climbing the hill. On the way up to the top, visitors may see the major buildings neatly ordered along a north-south ascending axis:

- The Gate of Dispelling Clouds (Paiyunmen)
- The Second Palace Gate (Ergongmen)
- The Hall of Dispelling Clouds (Paiyundian)
- The Hall of Moral Glory (Dehuidian)
- The Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge)
- The Hall of the Sea of Wisdom: on top of the hill

Mainly concentrated on the front hill, buildings are also present in the back such as the noteworthy miniature Potala Palace building in Tibetan lamasery style.

The Baoyun Pavilion

Located at the west of the Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge) on Longevity Hill, stands the Baoyun Pavilion (Baoyunge). Made of bronze, the building is often referred to as the "Golden Pavilion", one of China's three best preserved bronze buildings still existing today in the country. The architecture of the Baoyun Pavilion is something to pay attention to as it is a double-eaved roof of a 7.55 meters high imposing itself near to the Longevity Hill. Every single part of the pavilion is a curiosity for it is delicately carved and ornate with bright colors, bright marble in Buddhist style, pillars, tiles and bells.

During the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1736-1795), Lamas coming from Tibet stopped in the Summer Palace and this exact pavilion to pray for the Imperial family on the 1 st and 15 th day of each lunar month, especially during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912). Buddha figures used to be hung on the brackets during ceremonies. In order to pay tribute to the people who casted the pavilion, their names have been engraved on the inner wall (Hanzhong, Yangguozhu, Gaoyonggu and Zhangcheng). Great method tracing back from China oldest ancient times, the casting savoir faire is one of the most precious building methods consisting in casting every single component separately. Surviving many fires, wars and calamities, the Baoyun Pavilion is a jewel around which a mystery developed after the thefts of 10 bronze windows weighing around 100 kilos each, unfound for around 70 years and suddenly reappearing, blackmailing the government to pay for money to see the windows again. Back to there original place after 90 years, the mystery over their original theft is still on today.

The Long Corridor/Gallery

The Long Corridor is a 728 meters long (796.2 yards) gallery linking the Longevity Hill to the Kunming Lake. Longest corridor gallery in China, the building was even ranked as the longest one in the whole world in 1990. Used as a perfect promenade along the lakes, the Long corridor is a unique art gallery, featuring more than 14,000 pictures of landscapes, flowers, birds, human figures and stories on its beams and ceilings. Real carrier of China's ancient history, the corridor is giving an additional touch to the place surrounded by an amazing natural scenery. Smart connecter and primary route for visiting the whole garden, the Long corridor is a must see building in the Summer Palace.

The Hall of Dispelling Clouds

The Hall of Dispelling Clouds (排云殿Pai Yun Dian) is one of the most typical buildings of the Summer Palace. Red columns, golden yellow tiles roof and white marble balusters adorned with bronze dragons, phoenixes and vessels. Inside the hall, a throne is to be seen surrounded by a screen, incense burners and some fans. Ancient and elegant, the screen is an enamelwork embedded in a red backing. Together with the adjoining wing halls, the Hall of Dispelling Clouds has 21 rooms all of which are connected by cloisters.

Although the treasures on display inside are fewer than those in the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity, some of them are more valuable. Indeed, the beautiful middle rosewood throne with a dragon-in-clouds design, gorgeous sculpture, and fluid lines, is regarded as an awe-inspiring work of art. Each sides of the throne is surrounded by articles shaped in the Chinese character "寿" (shou), meaning longevity.

To the south of the Hall of Dispelling Clouds, visitors can direct themselves to the Gate of Dispelling Clouds located in the middle of the Long Corridor, dividing the corridor from east to west. The usual bronze lions standing on each sides of the door are symbolizing protection, and 12 stone statues of the Chinese zodiac animals: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig, the Imperial devotion to the universal system and the Heaven.

The Tower of Buddhist Incense

Symbol of the Summer Palace, the Tower of Buddhist Incense (佛香阁Fo Xiang Ge) is an elaborate work of Chinese classical architecture. Located on a hill in the center of the Summer Palace with buildings distributed symmetrically around its base, the tower is of a 40 meters height (131 feet), three-storied with 8 facades and quadruple-layered eaves, the whole supported by 8 pillars of lignum vitae wood: one of the most complicated structure ever realized.

Noteworthy building in the vicinity of the Tower of Buddhist Incense is the Precious Cloud Pavilion (宝云阁Bao Yun Ge) located to the west of the tower. In order to enjoy a panoramic view of the area, travelers are invited to climb up to the tower.

As an Imperial worshipping tower, it enshrines a Buddha made in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and called "the Buddha with One Thousand Hands and Eyes". Elegant and dignified, the statue is 5 meters high (16 feet) with 12 heads and 24 arms. Empress Dowager Cixi used to burn incense and pray in the tower on the 1 st and 15 th days of every lunar month.

The Hall of the Sea of Wisdom

The Hall of the Sea Wisdom (智慧海 Zhi Hui Hai) is the Summer Palace's building that symbolizes the mighty force and the infinite wisdom of Tathagada Buddha. Built on the pinnacle of the Longevity Hill, the Hall has been designed to stand at the upper end of an axis stretching from the Kunming Lake to the summit. When initially built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799), it was a 2-storied building entirely made of colored glaze bricks, without any timber beams: a realization known as the "No Beam Hall". Thanks to its timber-free frame, the hall survived the fire set by the Anglo-French allied force in 1860 although the holy statue of Amitayus Buddha, as well as 1008 smaller engraved Buddhas surrounding it, were destroyed.

Moreover, the Hall of the Sea of Wisdom is also where the worship of the Goddess of Mercy (Kuanyin) is occurring. Sitting straightly in the lotus throne with a jade pure bottle in one hand and willow leaves in the other, the statue is surrounded by other noteworthy relics such as the statues of Manjusri and Samantabhadra which are said to have been cast in the reign of the Emperor Qianlong. Visitors having some time visiting the hall will be impressed by the three characters written on the architraves of the hall for they form the Buddhist's chant: a real journey to spiritualism.

The Back Lake

Passing the Marble Boat toward the north and behind the Longevity Hill, the Kunming Lake is the part of the park narrowing significantly and forming the Back Lake (后湖Hou Hu). Covered with many structures and surrounded by water, the lake is a calm and cool place where taking some rest after the turmoil of Beijing city.

The Back Lake, called that way for it is secluded and quiet, wandering its way varying in width and rendering a great deal of fun and amusement. Little area representing the most famous areas of China, the Back Lake is a jewel of history. In the western section, peculiar huge rocks perched on the banks are a vivid representation of the marvelous scenery of the Three Gorges of the Yangtze River. The section in the middle of the lake is characterized by the Suzhou Market Street with shops lining on both banks, a unique scene of the Water Town south of the Yangtze River. This tranquil lake ends at the Garden of Harmonious Interests which serves as a grandiose epilogue.

The Suzhou Market Street

The Suzhou Market Street (Suzhou jie) is located behind the Longevity Hill, in the middle section of the Back Lake. The Market is a great interest, as the lake serves as the street with the stalls and shops on its banks. It has all the features of other market streets in Suzhou, a famous Water Town of China. The ancient-style street, about 300 meters long (328 yards), transports the tourist back to the mid-18th century of China.

Originally built during the reign of Emperor Qianglong (1711-1799), the function of the market was to give to the Emperor and his Empress and concubines the experience of shopping in the Water Town. At that time, the eunuchs would act as clerks and shopkeepers, lending an air of realism to the experience. Over 60 old-styled stores, including restaurants, teahouses, pawn shops, banks, drugstores, clothing shops, dyers and publishing houses line the banks. The storekeepers, shop assistants, boaters and policemen on patrol are all dressed in traditional costumes of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

The Garden of Harmonious Interests

Located beside the Kunming Lake, at the bottom eastern side of the Longevity Hill, the Garden of Harmonious Interests is of an exquisite design and distinctive layout a reason for its name as the "garden amongst the gardens of China". Indeed, its style is the most representative of the classical gardens of Southern China.

The idea of creating such a place came after Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799) conducted an inspection in South China in 1751. Coming back to Beijing, the Emperor developed a great affection for the Jichuang yuan Gardens in the city of Wuxi (Jiangsu Province). He then ordered that a similar garden be built in the Summer Palace, naming it the Huishan Garden, the precursor to the actual Garden of Harmonious Interests (1811). The garden was rebuilt in 1893 after some destruction.

Upon entering the Garden of Harmonious Interests, visitors are greeted by a magic panorama. Surrounded by slopes and with a lotus pond at its centre, the garden is comprised of 7 pavilions, 5 halls, numerous corridors and small bridges, all arranged with elegance. Noteworthy highlight to pay attention to is the reflection of all these typically Chinese sceneries into the pristine water of the pond. In ancient times, the pond was the fishing site of Empress Dowager Cixi. Funny history about the Empresse's taste for fishing as that every time Her Majesty went to fish, her eunuchs secretly dived into the water to hung live fish on her hook, in order to keep her in a relatively good spirit.

But what is exceptional about the Garden of Harmonious Interests is the 8 interests that can be enjoyed all around, developed as below:

- Interest of Seasons
- Interest of Pavilion
- Interest of Water
- Interest of Painting
- Interest of Bridge
- Interest of Corridor
- Interest of Calligraphy
- Interest of Imitation

Like many other natural sites, the beauty of the garden is changing along with seasons. Whether in summer, spring, autumn or winter time, the garden is still gorgeous for the pleasure of visitors worldwide. Water is maybe the element that is the most present in Chinese traditional gardens. The Garden of Harmonious interests is following the rule as many falls, and ponds give birth to winding streams where life is developing and wonderful sounds give a feeling of relaxation. Spanning the water with different styles, the bridges that can be admired in this part of the Summer Palace are parts of the historical and cultural relics tracing back from the ancient dynasties. The Xushi Path stele and stone inscription in the Moyun Room are also elements of interest for they ad to the park a painting dimension never seen anywhere else. Pavilions and corridors of different colors and architectural styles give to the scenery the typical Chinese sights that many of us are looking for when travelling to China.

Every single angle of the park is to discover. Harmonious and relaxing, the Garden of Harmonious interests is the perfect name for the most perfect garden China has ever been listing. A reason for understanding now why the Summer Palace has been listed to UNESCO!

3. Kunming Lake Gebied

The Kunming Lake area is the most famous part of the Summer Palace. Covering the larger part of the Palace, this is where Emperors and Empresses used to relax and enjoy the cool climate of the park away from the hit putting Beijing on fire at summer time. Unique vistas among all that can be see in the park, the Kunming lake is paying tribute to natural beauty and inspiring relaxation and quietness to those having the chance to spend some times on its banks discovering its many highlights.

The Bronze Ox

The Bronze Ox is one of the most famous attractions of the Lake set on bluestone wave-lined pedestal, overlooking the east shore of the Kunming Lake. The reason for an ox presence in the park can appeal to reflection but for history, the ox is said in Chinese believes to have to power to control floods: a major cause of death in ancient China. Around the bronze ox developed the legend that the master of floods prevention: Da Yu, after completion of any of his projects would put an iron ox into the water for preventing the area or region from flood disasters. Customary since the Tang Dynasty (618-907), oxen are since then lined at the edge of waterways.

Originally, the bronze ox was set there by Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799). Adopting a realistic approach, the ox has become an integral part of the surrounding environment. It is the largest of its kind in China, reflecting the high casting level of ancient China.

Seventeen-Arch Bridge

Connecting the eastern shore of the Kunming Lake to the Nanhu Island in the west, the Seventeen-Arch Bridge is a major attraction of the Kunming Lake. With a length of 150 meters (164 yards) and a width of 8 meters (8.75 yards), it is the longest bridge in the Summer Palace, built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799). Highly inspired from other famous Chinese bridges such as the Lugou Bridge in Beijing and Baodai Bridge in Suzhou (Zhejiang Province), the Seventeen-Arch Bridge looks like a rainbow arching over the water. 544 distinctive white marble lions are carved on the column of the parapets with a bizarre beast on each end of the bridge.

An interesting legend connecting to the construction of this bridge can be noticed. Coming to the court to sell his "Longmen stone", a poor old man didn't receive any attention from the people who started to despise him because of his poor looking. Waiting for a buyer, the old man sat beside a tree but the rain forced him to shelter in some places. Kindly advised and sheltered by a man, the old man offered his Longmen Stone as a gift to his host to thank him, and returned home. Years after the beginning of the construction of the Seventeen-Arch Bridge, just one stone was missing but no one could find nor design the appropriate shape. Remembering about the old man, people started to look for him in the vicinity but just found the exact stone given years ago to the host. Fitting perfectly, the stone completed the construction of the bridge that could start to be used by the Emperor. Since then, the old man is believed to be the incarnation of Luban, ancestor of carpenters, who came to help people build the imperial bridge.

Nanhu Island

The Nanhu Island (南湖岛South Lake Island) is the largest one among the three islands of the Kunming Lake. This over one hectare (2.5 acres) island is located in the southeast of the lake, connected to the east bank by the Seventeen-Arch Bridge. Originally, the island and the whole Kunming Lake were artificial for thousands of workers designed it, excavating the lake thus making the island emerging from the earth and water. The whole island is edged by huge stones and enclosed with carved stone fences. Seen from the distance, the island together with the Seventeen-Arch Bridge look like a tortoise stretching its neck. Symbol of longevity in Chinese culture, the tortoise was a beloved animal for Emperors and especially Emperor Qianlong, who originally built this garden in the name of his mother's 60 th birthday.

On the island, two main buildings make the highlights of the site: the Hanxu Hall and the Dragon King Temple. The Hanxu Hall is the shelter where Empress Dowager Cixi inspected the navy drill. Every time she came to the Summer Palace, she made a stop-over for worshiping at the temple, using a boat to reach the holy island.

Marble Boat

Maybe one of the most remarkable buildings that visitors notice when visiting the Summer Palace, the Marble Boat (Shifang) is a structure tracing back from Emperor Qianlong's reign (1711-1799). Located at the west end of the Long Corridor gallery, the boat was built in 1755 but the fires set during the Anglo-French occupation destroyed its superstructure. Empress Dowager Cixi's general reconstruction of the Kingdom's ancient buildings saved the memory of the original boat although rebuilt in an imitation of western-style yachts. Some wood subassemblies hidden through a marble texture are present in the boat, although called "Marble Boat".

Behind the creation of that boat lies an interesting story telling a lot about emperors' way of thinking the world and the management of the country. Indeed, the boat was constructed after the Tang Dynasty (618-907) minister Wei Zheng told the Emperor these words: "The waters that bear the boat are the same that swallow it up". Reading between the lines, the Emperor understood the comparison of the boat to the Emperor and the waters to the people. The saying turned into a real advice that the Emperor should care about his people for they can overthrow him. In order to make the reign of the Qing Dynasty the longest as possible, he ordered the creation of a firm boat made of stone that cannot be overturned by the waters.


Looted Treasure Returned to Beijing's Old Summer Palace

After its looting 160 years ago, an iconic horse-head bronze statue was returned on Tuesday, December 1 to the Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan) in Beijing’s Haidian district.

The horse-head is one of 12 statues that depict Chinese zodiac animals. It was designed by Italian artist Giuseppe Castiglione and made by royal craftsmen.

The statue was donated by the late Hong Kong-Macao tycoon Stanley Ho who passed away earlier this year. It was in the possession of the National Cultural Heritage Administration (NCHA) before being recently handed over to the Old Summer Palace.

The Old Summer Palace served as an imperial garden between 1709 and 1860. It gained a reputation as the ‘garden of gardens’ thanks to its plethora of palaces, gardens and treasures.

In 1860, British and French colonial forces destroyed many of the garden’s structures and looted its treasures. This included the horse-head bronze statue. Many other treasures remain on display in museums around the world. Volgens China Daily, “It is the first time that a lost important cultural relic from Yuanmingyuan has been returned to and housed at its original location after being repatriated from overseas.”

The Old Summer Palace is etched into the collective memory of many in China. For many Chinese citizens, Yuanmingyuan is symbolic of colonialism and China’s so-called ‘national humiliation.’

In October of this year, the Old Summer Palace marked the 160th anniversary of the looting. On October 18, visitors could enter the palace free of charge.

Many who took advantage of the free entry were eager to point out the importance of the anniversary and not to forget China’s ‘national shame.’ Ms. Liu, an art teacher, took her students to the Old Summer Palace for a painting activity. Zij zei Global Times that she hoped her students could appreciate the historical significance of the ruins. Many of China’s netizens were equally keen to point out the anniversary’s importance.

Over RMB10 million (USD1.52 million) has been spent on improving facilities to safely store the treasure. The statue will be displayed permanently in the Zhengjue Temple of the Old Summer Palace.


Lord Elgin and the Burning of the Summer Palace

In October 1860, writes E.W.R. Lumby, a humane and liberal-minded British emissary felt obliged to order an act of vandalism in Peking.

The letters and journals of James, Eighth Earl of Elgin, show a man constantly preoccupied with the harm that, in his eyes, the western nations, and the British in particular, were doing to the ancient civilizations of the East a man highly sensitive to the injustices of his country’s policy and to the arrogance and inhumanity that he thought he saw in his compatriots.

Yet Elgin’s two missions to China are chiefly remembered for the event in which they culminated—the burning of the Summer Palace at Peking in October 1860. How did it come about that a man of his temperament and opinions should have been responsible for an act so often quoted as an example of vandalism, of Victorian arrogance and insensitivity at their worst?

To Elgin the East was “abominable, not so much in itself, as because it is strewed all over with the records of our violence and fraud, and disregard of right.”

On his way to China in 1857, he wrote of Egypt: “I suppose that France and England, by their mutual jealousies, will be the means of perpetuating the abominations of the system under which that magnificent country is ruled.”

Om dit artikel te kunnen blijven lezen, moet u toegang tot het online archief aanschaffen.

Als je al toegang hebt gekocht of abonnee bent van print & archive, zorg er dan voor dat je: ingelogd.


Peking’s Summer Palace destroyed - HISTORY

Category of Site: Cultural Site

Brief introduction

The Summer Palace, originally named Qingyi Yuan, or the Garden of Clear Ripples, was an imperial garden constructed in 1750 by Emperor Qianlong in a bid to celebrate his mother's birthday. During the past few centuries, emperors and empresses spent their leisure time there, which is of great aesthetic value today.

The site in Beijing is an outstanding expression of the creative art of Chinese landscape garden design, incorporating the works of man and nature in a harmonious manner.

The Summer Palace was added to the list in November 1998.

The Summer Palace was first built in 1750 and largely destroyed in the war of 1860, then restored on its original foundation in 1886. It served four generations of the imperial family, and is now a popular resort for people from all walks of life.

The palace is an outstanding example of imperial parks and private gardens with features of both northern and southern China, and is the best preserved of all Chinese imperial parks. It integrates the natural landscape of hills and open water with manmade features, such as pavilions, halls, palaces, temples and bridges, into a harmonious and aesthetically exceptional whole.

The Summer Palace covers an area of 290 hectares, three-fourths of it being water. Its garden is divided into three sectors: the official sector, the private sector and the landscape sector. The imperial palaces are in the eastern part of the Summer Palace. The main structures in this area include the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity (Renshoudian), also known as the Hall of Industrious Government (Qinzhengdian), its side halls and offices for ministers. The private sector is composed of three large courtyards, focusing respectively on the Hall of Jade Ripples (Yulantang), the Hall of Happiness and Longevity (Leshoutang) and the Yiba Hall.

Cultural Heritage

Diversified architectural elements in the Summer Palace annotate the evolution of China as an integral country of many ethnic groups. For example, Kunming Lake is largely an imitation of West Lake in Hangzhou, East China's Zhejiang province. The long causeway to the west of the lake is called the West Dike, modeled after the Su Dongpo Causeway on West Lake. A series of six bridges on the dike are very similar to the six bridges on West Lake.

The large group of temples on Longevity Hill, including the Pavilion of the Fragrance of Buddha (Foxiangge), is typical of the architecture of Tibetan Buddhism. They were built in imitation of the Temple of Common Peace (Puningsi) and similar temples in the Chengde Mountain Resort, which were built at the same time.

The Long Corridor

The Long Corridor is the longest garden corridor in China, and one of the oldest structures in the Summer Palace. It is a covered promenade running for 728 meters along the northern shore of Kunming Lake and connecting with a row of buildings at the foot of Longevity Hill.

Besides the spectacular view of more than 8,000 paintings in traditional Chinese style that illustrates a large span of Chinese history and literature, the Long Corridor is also remarkable in its quake-proof function. According to historical records, over the past 251 years, although the slim and winding Long Corridor has suffered numerous storms, strong winds and even earthquakes, it has never tilted or been undermined.


Bekijk de video: 55 Days at Peking 1963 (Januari- 2023).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos